NV Woodwerks header image

Resin Cast Memory Frames | Woodworkers Fighting Cancer 2017

– Posted in: Videos

This year’s Woodworkers Fighting Cancer project is resin cast memory frames! Right up my alley, and I even got Gretchen to join in the fun. By making the frames and posting a video, The Wood Whisperer will be donating money to the Jimmy Fund this year, and the donations will be matched by a number of sponsors. To learn more about Woodworkers Fighting Cancer or to help out, head over to the Woodworker’s Fighting Cancer web page.

In addition to supporting Woodworkers Fighting Cancer, we decided to auction off both of the frames and donate 100% of the proceeds to the Las Vegas Victim’s fund. The fund was set up to provide assistance to the victims of the tragic shooting in Las Vegas. I have created posts on my Facebook page for each of the frames, and I have direct links to each post below. I decided the best way to do the auction is by simply having people enter bids in the comment section of each post. The auction will start Sunday October 29, and it will run until midnight on Saturday, November 4. The highest bid placed in the comment section of each post will win the frame. I’ve pinned those two posts to the top of my Facebook page, head over to the posts to get all the info and to bid on the frames: https://www.facebook.com/nvwoodwerks/posts

I decided to make live edge picture frames using live edge ash and pine wood from slabs I had cut. I glued the mitered pieces down to a plywood base since the mitered corners were difficult to line up. That method made them go together easily. I spray painted the frame black under the live edge frames and added some background graphics in the frame. I decided to embed some playing cards and dice in mine, while Gretchen added some gold and silver highlights to the resin. Overall, they both turned out pretty good overall.

I used Amazing Clear Cast epoxy resin for the casting part. It is sold by Alumilite, and marketed as a bar top coating. Since I had some on hand, I decided to try it out for this project. It is a slow setting resin, and although it’s super thick, the air bubbles were able to free themselves before the resin set up without the help of pressure. Mine got some small champagne bubbles in it, but I believe that may be due to the fact that I poured mine in two stages. Gretchen’s turned out dead clear having poured only one layer.

 

 

Related Posts

Leave a Comment