Finally tried my hand at making a micarta blank, and I got to use firehose for it! I have a project in mind that I’d like to try to make with most of the firehose, but I wanted to test it out before committing to a larger blank. So, I decided to make a Sierra size pen blank first so I know what to expect. In addition to the firehose, I also added a thin red strip of Alumilite to make a “thin red line” blank out of it. I think the pen turned out pretty sweet!
In the video, I cover some of the mistakes I made and discussed some of the issues that I found out about working with the firehose blank. Overall, there wasn’t anything particularly difficult about the casting, prepping, or turning. Anyone could do it.
Thanks again to Nick for hooking me up with such an awesome material to Dunk! I’m pretty excited for the next project I’ll be starting soon using firehose micarta.