NV Woodwerks header image

Tragedy to Beauty – Casting Hurricane Irma Debris | Dunkin Junk

– Posted in: Videos

Bid on the Bowl: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd3W8h3BPJo/

Bid on the Pen: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd3WF_EhBDV/

This is a very special episode of Dunkin’ Junk! Aggie sent me some debris caused by Hurricane Irma that was scattered across her property. I thought it would be pretty awesome to create something beautiful out of it; and to take it a step further, I thought we could raise some money to help out the victims of that tragedy. We made a ton of blanks, and I made a bowl and a pen from a couple of the castings. From the proceeds of the blank auctions, we raised $774! I’m hoping to reach our goal of $1000 once I auction off the bowl and the pen.

If you’d like to help out with the fundraising, I am auctioning off the pen and the bowl that I made with the blanks during my live stream. I decided to hold the auctions on my Instagram feed, and you will place your bid in the comment section of each post. Bids will be accepted until January 31, 2018, and the highest bidder wins! Please spread the word about this so we can raise as much money as possible for the victims of this tragedy.

After doing a little research, I decided to donate the money we raise with the auctions to Volunteer Florida since 100% of the funds raised will go towards disaster response.

In this video, I focused on the bowl blank that I made with palm fronds embedded in resin because I ran into a fairly common problem when I cast the blank: overheating the resin! Most casting resins are not meant to be poured in thick amounts because the resin gets too hot during the curing process. Instead, they need to be poured in smaller stages allowing for each stage to cure at a reasonable temperature.

I typically use Alumilite Clear Slow Set for larger castings, which is formulated to be poured in large volumes without overheating. Without thinking about it, I decided to use an epoxy resin that I had on hand instead. Well, the blank overheated and cracked in the middle.

So, I decided to cut out the cracked portions and fix the blank by pouring more epoxy in the middle of the blank. Luckily I was able to salvage the blank, and utilize the “fix” to add a really cool effect in the blank. Mistakes are just an opportunity to improve the design =D

Related Posts

Leave a Comment